POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Telling a good story Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:32:53 EDT (-0400)
  Telling a good story (Message 48 to 57 of 57)
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: Telling a good story
Date: 29 Jul 2012 10:55:01
Message: <web.50154e18859dd4967c7056930@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mcavoys_at@aoldotcom> wrote:
> On 29/07/2012 9:28 AM, Warp wrote:
> > I don't think sending an mp3 to someone constitutes "borrowing"...
>
> Just keeping to the niceties amongst friends.

you should wait about, hmm, 65 more years to make the dead author happy with his
royalties?

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 29 Jul 2012 11:05:00
Message: <web.50154ffa859dd4967c7056930@news.povray.org>
> Am 29.07.2012 04:23, schrieb nemesis:
>
> > it's not random at all.
> >
> > Dave gets near the monolith and utters "It's full of stars", then a long
> > sequence of abstract psychdelic patterns and figures resembling galaxies and
> > planets
>
> The association with galaxies and planets is pretty far-fetched.

It's not.  Amongst this very long sequence there are landscapes in funky
photographic coloring and some early special effects like milk diluted in water
in slow motion to make it look like galaxies.  The other caleidoscopic patterns
do look a bit like what SW would do to represent hyperspace traveling a decade
later...

> > suggests Dave has entered some kind of portal into hyperspace for a very
> > long travel.  Obviously, this is the doing of some alien intelligence.
>
> Uh-huh... that, or he(*) has taken some funky pills. Occam's razor
> suggests the latter.
>
> (*that is either Dave or the script author)

could be.  Dave shut off the computer who ran the ship and with no way to get
back home safely, decides for suicide via overdose of LSD.  A valid
interpretation no doubt.  Drugs can always explain all scifi speculations, like
in Matrix too...

except, of course, why speculate in the first place then only to explain it all
as the doing of drugs or a bad dream?  That's a hallmark of bad fiction.

Post a reply to this message

> > > I don't think sending an mp3 to someone constitutes "borrowing"...
> >
> > Just keeping to the niceties amongst friends.

> you should wait about, hmm, 65 more years to make the dead author happy with his
> royalties?

Probably not going to help as long as Disney exists. And they are going
to exist for a long time.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message