POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Telling a good story : Re: Telling a good story Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:22:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Telling a good story
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 29 Jul 2012 14:12:49
Message: <50157d21$1@news.povray.org>
Le 29/07/2012 18:54, Warp nous fit lire :
> nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> Stephen <mcavoys_at@aoldotcom> wrote:
>>>
>>> Just keeping to the niceties amongst friends.
>
>> you should wait about, hmm, 65 more years to make the dead author happy with his
>> royalties?
>
> Probably not going to help as long as Disney exists. And they are going
> to exist for a long time.

Well, if the author was a human people, it's 70 years past its death.
If a company, it's 95 years after publication or 120 years after
creation (but unpublished..)... In the USA.

other countries have different rules, and might have different
calculation and duration (e.g. the Bern convention only requires 50
years past the death of the author, or 50 years since creations for
cinema, 25 years for photo).

So, even if Mickey Mouse is not public domain worldwide, it might be
already free of use in some countries. Just be cautious with the borders
you might cross.

The real shame with MM, is that the Oswald's case was the root of the
story. Next time, let the rabbit to the drawing man!