POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A puzzling exchange Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:21:26 EDT (-0400)
  A puzzling exchange (Message 21 to 30 of 52)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: A puzzling exchange
Date: 15 Jul 2012 15:18:40
Message: <50031790$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/14/2012 4:15 AM, Stephen wrote:
> On 14/07/2012 8:20 AM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>>> and yes, Microsoft is the biggest monopoly ever.
>>
>> Yeah...
>
> A monopoly of what?

Yah man. The "invisible hand of the market" fixed them good. Its only
taken 20 years of crap software, undermined innovation, patent hell,
which will still screw us over for decades, if not centuries, and the
spread, with help from other companies, of laws that came damn close to
legalizing monopoly, by making any alternatives illegal. But good old
libertardism worked... lol

And, that is literally the truth. Had certain laws actually made it into
existence, and certain cases gone in their favor, instead of against,
they wouldn't be looking at console systems and phones as a "salvation"
for their business. We would still be stuck with them as the only source
for ***everything***, no matter what device, and everyone else kissing
their asses, just to get a foot in the door.

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 15 Jul 2012 16:21:08
Message: <50032634@news.povray.org>
Em 15/07/2012 16:18, Patrick Elliott escreveu:

>>> Yeah...
>>
>> A monopoly of what?
>>
> Yah man. The "invisible hand of the market" fixed them good. Its only
> taken 20 years of crap software, undermined innovation, patent hell,
> which will still screw us over for decades, if not centuries, and the
> spread, with help from other companies, of laws that came damn close to
> legalizing monopoly, by making any alternatives illegal. But good old
> libertardism worked... lol
>
> And, that is literally the truth. Had certain laws actually made it into
> existence, and certain cases gone in their favor, instead of against,
> they wouldn't be looking at console systems and phones as a "salvation"
> for their business. We would still be stuck with them as the only source
> for ***everything***, no matter what device, and everyone else kissing
> their asses, just to get a foot in the door.

BTW, there was a rumour just a while ago that they are into buying
Activision, one of the oldest videogame publishers and owner of the mega
lucrative modern franchise Call of Duty.  If they do that, they screw
Sony and Nintendo big time.

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 15 Jul 2012 16:21:37
Message: <50032651@news.povray.org>
Em 15/07/2012 13:13, clipka escreveu:
> Am 15.07.2012 17:50, schrieb nemesis:

>>> Originates from the same language as shampoo.
>>
>> I find it ironic that a german guy is teaching me that an english word
>> comes from french...
>
> Wait - Tim's a German?

you

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 15 Jul 2012 17:05:49
Message: <500330ad$1@news.povray.org>
On 15/07/2012 8:07 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 15.07.2012 19:24, schrieb Stephen:
>> On 15/07/2012 5:13 PM, clipka wrote:
>>> a lot of "native" English words stem from other languages,
>>
>> English is a Germanic language as is Scots, not to mistaken for the
>> Keltic Gaelic
>
> At least the Normans left a strong Romanic imprint in the vocabulary
> though.

True, that was when England was a French colony. ;-:

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 15 Jul 2012 17:13:15
Message: <5003326b$1@news.povray.org>
On 15/07/2012 04:50 PM, nemesis wrote:

> I find it ironic that a german guy is teaching me that an english word
> comes from french...

I get most of my English grammar tips from Warp. :-P

I imagine most English people think "Bah, I already know English. I
don't need to pay attention in English class." Whereas people who don't
speak English natively probably pay more attention. Or at least, that's
my theory.

Hmm, let's see... It has an accented letter in it. And pronunciation is
nothing like its spelling. Yeah, I'd hazard a guess it's French. :-P

PS. I still remember when I was on the train from Geneva to Sion. The
train stopped at a station who's name was a random collection of
consonants. The automated voice said "thees staysseeon ees...", followed
by a sound closely resembling somebody trying to cough their lungs up.
She then repeated the same sentence in [Swiss?] French. The name still
sounded like a nasty cough.

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 15 Jul 2012 22:19:44
Message: <50037a40$1@news.povray.org>
Am 15.07.2012 22:21, schrieb nemesis:
> Em 15/07/2012 13:13, clipka escreveu:

>>> I find it ironic that a german guy is teaching me that an english word
>>> comes from french...
>>
>> Wait - Tim's a German?
>
> you

But I didn't mention any English words coming form French; that was Tim.

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 15 Jul 2012 22:54:13
Message: <50038255$1@news.povray.org>
Am 15.07.2012 23:13, schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:

> PS. I still remember when I was on the train from Geneva to Sion. The
> train stopped at a station who's name was a random collection of
> consonants. The automated voice said "thees staysseeon ees...", followed
> by a sound closely resembling somebody trying to cough their lungs up.
> She then repeated the same sentence in [Swiss?] French. The name still
> sounded like a nasty cough.

Well, the Swiss aren't actually renowned for their beauty of speech :-P

But I guess that was nothing compared to the German-speaking part of
Switzerland.

Post a reply to this message

From: Francois Labreque
Date: 17 Jul 2012 08:49:40
Message: <50055f64$1@news.povray.org>

> On 15/07/2012 04:50 PM, nemesis wrote:
>
>> I find it ironic that a german guy is teaching me that an english word
>> comes from french...
>
> I get most of my English grammar tips from Warp. :-P
>
> I imagine most English people think "Bah, I already know English. I
> don't need to pay attention in English class." Whereas people who don't
> speak English natively probably pay more attention. Or at least, that's
> my theory.
>

> Hmm, let's see... It has an accented letter in it. And pronunciation is
> nothing like its spelling. Yeah, I'd hazard a guess it's French. :-P

As if english pronounciation had any thing to do with the spelling!

Why isn't foot pronounced like boot, hoot, and toot?
Why isn't put pronounced like but, hut and rut?
Why isn't bomb pronounced like tomb or womb?
Why isn't "ough" always pronounced the same?

From: Invisible
Date: 17 Jul 2012 09:19:43
Message: <5005666f$1@news.povray.org>

>> Hmm, let's see... It has an accented letter in it. And pronunciation is
>> nothing like its spelling. Yeah, I'd hazard a guess it's French. :-P
>>

> As if english pronounciation had any thing to do with the spelling!
>
> Why isn't foot pronounced like boot, hoot, and toot?
> Why isn't put pronounced like but, hut and rut?
> Why isn't bomb pronounced like tomb or womb?
> Why isn't "ough" always pronounced the same?

As far as I can tell, the answer to most of these has to do with the
first mechanical printing presses, and their inability to print certain
vowels clearly. Thus, the first printers arbitrarily changed certain
words spellings. (Apparently before printed type, "standard" spellings
did not exist. People just made them up as the went along.)

Then there was the time that all the rich inhabitants of England
actually spoke French, and only the peasants spoke English...

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 19 Jul 2012 16:13:55
Message: <50086a83@news.povray.org>
On 7/13/2012 4:34, Invisible wrote:
> That /totally/ explains why they created Bing to "compete" with Google.
 It's
> all part of the façade, see? They /want/ you to think it's a rival
 company...

They own Pequod's coffee shops too.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)