POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The job hunt continues Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:14:58 EDT (-0400)
  The job hunt continues (Message 13 to 22 of 52)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: The job hunt continues
Date: 12 Jul 2012 10:04:39
Message: <4ffed977@news.povray.org>
>> A lot of it has to do with IT picking up again. Evidently the dot-com
>> bust has finally bottomed out. I looked for work in software for several
>> years before being hired just a few months ago.
>
> Well everyone made massive upgrades in the late 90s to get over Y2K, and
> now, those systems are slowly becoming obsolete again, so there's
> another wave of upgrades coming...

I don't know about IT, more like "the entire jobs market went to hell
for a few years"...

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Date: 12 Jul 2012 10:25:52
Message: <4ffede70$1@news.povray.org>
Le 12/07/2012 16:04, Invisible a écrit :
>>> A lot of it has to do with IT picking up again. Evidently the dot-com
>>> bust has finally bottomed out. I looked for work in software for several
>>> years before being hired just a few months ago.
>>
>> Well everyone made massive upgrades in the late 90s to get over Y2K, and
>> now, those systems are slowly becoming obsolete again, so there's
>> another wave of upgrades coming...
>
> I don't know about IT, more like "the entire jobs market went to hell
> for a few years"...

In the very late 90s, due the urgency of Y2K, anyone would get hired (I
mean, even without a computer degree... we got chemistry degree on the
job, just to name a few)
Then Y2K failed to happen (as a catastroph) and the Web bubble enjoys a
growth: people stayed on the computer...
(and some European countries had a bonus deadline: Euro get introduced
as real for the 2002-1-1, so after the Y2K race, a lot of work for the
money-change)

2002 & al: bubble has exploded, but a lot of people get the computer
item in their CV. Less "fancy" works, lot of internal candidats (from
low to high level of qualification), no need to recruit actively outside.

Post a reply to this message