POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The job hunt continues : Re: The job hunt continues Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:20:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The job hunt continues
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 12 Jul 2012 10:25:52
Message: <4ffede70$1@news.povray.org>
Le 12/07/2012 16:04, Invisible a écrit :
>>> A lot of it has to do with IT picking up again. Evidently the dot-com
>>> bust has finally bottomed out. I looked for work in software for several
>>> years before being hired just a few months ago.
>>
>> Well everyone made massive upgrades in the late 90s to get over Y2K, and
>> now, those systems are slowly becoming obsolete again, so there's
>> another wave of upgrades coming...
>
> I don't know about IT, more like "the entire jobs market went to hell
> for a few years"...

In the very late 90s, due the urgency of Y2K, anyone would get hired (I
mean, even without a computer degree... we got chemistry degree on the
job, just to name a few)
Then Y2K failed to happen (as a catastroph) and the Web bubble enjoys a
growth: people stayed on the computer...
(and some European countries had a bonus deadline: Euro get introduced
as real for the 2002-1-1, so after the Y2K race, a lot of work for the
money-change)

2002 & al: bubble has exploded, but a lot of people get the computer
item in their CV. Less "fancy" works, lot of internal candidats (from
low to high level of qualification), no need to recruit actively outside.