POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The job hunt continues : Re: The job hunt continues Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The job hunt continues
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 21 Jul 2012 01:01:34
Message: <500a37ae@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 00:14:04 -0400, Francois Labreque wrote:

>> The predicted Y2K computing technology disaster is what failed to
>> happen.  Planes failed to fall from the sky, the power grid failed to
>> fail, the phones kept working.
>>

> Mostly because most companies took it seriously enough that they fixed
> the problems that could have happened.
>
> some small businesses did have problems, for example:

Sure, there were some relatively minor issues.

There were predictions (whether or not they were /serious/ predictions is
certainly debatable) of massive outages and a return to the dark ages or
the stone ages.

But I never took those very seriously myself.  But people who were less
well-informed (and not working in the tech industry) certainly did think
things would be much worse than they were.

My coauthor and I joked about getting into the long-haul trucking
business if everything croaked.  Of course, we knew it was highly
unlikely (and if it happened the way the doomsayers were, long-haul
trucking would've have been a particularly good business because there
are a lot of computers involved in that business - not just to keep the
trucks running, either, but for the whole supply chain management side of
things.)

Jim