POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Sky Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:19:15 EDT (-0400)
  Sky (Message 1 to 10 of 28)
From: Invisible
Subject: Sky
Date: 15 Jun 2012 08:13:41
Message: <4fdb26f5$1@news.povray.org>
I looked outside a little while ago, and observed that the sky was blue.

But when I asked POV-Ray to do some radiosity with a blue sky, the
entire scene came out blue. Which, logically speaking, isn't surprising.
If the sky is blue, clearly it's emitting blue light, which would result
in everything being illuminated blue.

And yet, when I look outside, the world is /not/ tinged blue. So... WTH?

Post a reply to this message

> And yet, when I look outside, the world is /not/ tinged blue. So... WTH?

Your visual cortex is good at correcting for it. Also, the sun casts a lot more
light than the sky, so in direct sunlight the effect is muted. And of course,
cloud cover will hide blue sky-light and replace it with diffuse sunlight.

On a cloudless day, I think the blue tinge to shadows is quite obvious.

Post a reply to this message