POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Sky Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:26:54 EDT (-0400)
  Sky (Message 19 to 28 of 28)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Sky
Date: 16 Jun 2012 07:04:14
Message: <4fdc682e@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <kag### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> On 6/15/2012 8:28 AM, Warp wrote:
> > Invisible<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
> >> And yet, when I look outside, the world is /not/ tinged blue. So... WTH?
> >
> >    Actually it is. Consider this rendering, for example:
> >
> > http://www.ignorancia.org/uploads/images/rocky-desert/rocky-desert-09-sbtf.jpg
> >
> >    Everything's tinted blue. Does it look unrealistic? No.
> >
> Uh.. Think you need to adjust your display. That looks completely normal
> to me.

  Agreed, it looks normal. In other words, having a bluish tint (especially
in the shadows).

  Change the color of the sky to gray and re-render.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 16 Jun 2012 07:09:10
Message: <4fdc6956@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> > If the sky is "blue", why do you see a yellow sun ?

>   The sun is not yellow. It's white.

  To elaborate: The color yellow is something like rgb <1, 1, 0>.
The color white is rgb <1, 1, 1>. If you take colors between those two,
at which point does the yellow change to white?

  The Sun does certainly not look like rgb <1, 1, 0>. If it did, then
every blue object would look black.

  The Sun might not emit a light that's exactly <1, 1, 1>, but it's pretty
damn close to it. Hence it's way whiter than yellow. Saying that the sun is
yellow is extremely misleading.

  Also the *apparent* color of the Sun is certainly white to our eyes
(because it's so damn bright).

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>    Also the *apparent* color of the Sun is certainly white to our eyes
> (because it's so damn bright).

That's not true either - in fact, the apparent color of the sun is "weird".

(Kids, remember: Do *not* look straight into the sun!)

Post a reply to this message