POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Sky : Re: Sky Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:19:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sky
From: Ive
Date: 16 Jun 2012 08:03:55
Message: <4fdc762b@news.povray.org>
Am 16.06.2012 13:09, schrieb Warp:
> Warp<war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:
>> Le_Forgeron<jgr### [at] freefr>  wrote:
>>> If the sky is "blue", why do you see a yellow sun ?
>
>>    The sun is not yellow. It's white.
>
>    To elaborate: The color yellow is something like rgb<1, 1, 0>.
> The color white is rgb<1, 1, 1>. If you take colors between those two,
> at which point does the yellow change to white?
>
>    The Sun does certainly not look like rgb<1, 1, 0>. If it did, then
> every blue object would look black.
>
>    The Sun might not emit a light that's exactly<1, 1, 1>, but it's pretty
> damn close to it. Hence it's way whiter than yellow. Saying that the sun is
> yellow is extremely misleading.
>
>    Also the *apparent* color of the Sun is certainly white to our eyes
> (because it's so damn bright).

Hmm, actually it is the other way round. We call this color white (some
call it a even a non-color) *because* it is the damn bright apparent
color of the sun. Somewhen during evolution this has been proven to be
useful. If the earth would circle Betelgeuse we would most likely see
red as the "white" and neutral color.

-Ive