POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Meet your maker Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:18:23 EDT (-0400)
  Meet your maker (Message 6 to 15 of 65)
<<< Previous 5 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: scott
Subject: Re: Meet your maker
Date: 11 Apr 2012 09:43:15
Message: <4f858a73$1@news.povray.org>
> For example, Ferrari is famous for making luxury cars that only a few of
> the richest people in the world can afford to drive. Ferrari is
> currently owned by Fiat, famous for making shit cars that no sane person
> in their right mind would want to drive, never mind own. So... how the
> hell did Fiat manage to afford Ferrari?

Because there are 2 million Fiats sold each year, yet only 5000
Ferraris.  Which brand would you rather own?  Hint: if you choose
correctly you could buy the other one with about 2 weeks of profit :-)

> Similarly, Cadbury, maker of fine chocolates, was recently bought by
> Kraft foods, makers of naff cheap crap. How the heck did /that/ happen??

They offered a high enough price that was acceptable for the company,
much like any other trade.

> Uh... I'm not sure that (say) Tesco's own cornflakes are made by the
> same people as Kellog's cornflakes.

Maybe not that exact example (I have no idea who makes Tesco's
cornflakes), but plenty of companies make their own brands and also the
stuff for supermarket brands.  They already have all the equipment and
logistics in place, plus a reputation with the supermarket, it will
benefit both companies in the end.

Post a reply to this message

>> For example, Ferrari is famous for making luxury cars that only a few of
>> the richest people in the world can afford to drive. Ferrari is
>> currently owned by Fiat, famous for making shit cars that no sane person
>> in their right mind would want to drive, never mind own. So... how the
>> hell did Fiat manage to afford Ferrari?
>
> Because there are 2 million Fiats sold each year, yet only 5000
> Ferraris. Which brand would you rather own?

On the other hand, the profit on selling one Fiat pales into
insignificance compared to the profit on selling a single Ferrari. So
you don't need to sell anywhere near as many to make the same yearly
profit. It /should/ be a no-brainer; Ferrari /should/ be making vastly
more money than Fiat will ever own. So...???

>> Similarly, Cadbury, maker of fine chocolates, was recently bought by
>> Kraft foods, makers of naff cheap crap. How the heck did /that/ happen??
>
> They offered a high enough price that was acceptable for the company,
> much like any other trade.

My question was more "how the hell can they afford that?"

>> Uh... I'm not sure that (say) Tesco's own cornflakes are made by the
>> same people as Kellog's cornflakes.
>
> Maybe not that exact example (I have no idea who makes Tesco's
> cornflakes), but plenty of companies make their own brands and also the
> stuff for supermarket brands. They already have all the equipment and
> logistics in place, plus a reputation with the supermarket, it will
> benefit both companies in the end.

I'm just trying to visualise the conversation though: "Yeah, we can sell

that wouldn't be laughable.

Post a reply to this message