POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Privacy Myth Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:25:42 EDT (-0400)
  Privacy Myth (Message 44 to 53 of 53)
From: Kevin Wampler
Subject: Re: Privacy Myth
Date: 25 May 2012 11:20:42
Message: <4fbfa34a$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/25/2012 6:35 AM, Warp wrote:

>    And history is written by the victors.

Specifically by Victor Ehrenberg and Victor Davis Hanson, among others.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 26 May 2012 22:05:54
Message: <4fc18c02@news.povray.org>
On 5/23/2012 8:28, Jim Henderson wrote:
> Lawmakers define law.  The courts interpret it - and sometimes interpret
> it to mean something other than what the lawmakers wrote it to mean.

Or they often have to interpret it to decide whether a particular case is
covered. (Hence the term "case law".)

For example: The carpool lane can only be used by a car with at least two
passengers. Does a hearse with a driver and a dead body count? Does a woman
8 months pregnant count?

Or, from an Oracle/Google point of view, can you copyright an API?

The lawmakers can pass new laws to override cases that got decided in a way
they didn't like, if they want, so yes, the lawmakers make the laws.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Oh no! We're out of code juice!"

Post a reply to this message

Le 2012-05-26 22:05, Darren New a écrit :
> On 5/23/2012 8:28, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Lawmakers define law. The courts interpret it - and sometimes interpret
>> it to mean something other than what the lawmakers wrote it to mean.
>
> Or they often have to interpret it to decide whether a particular case
> is covered. (Hence the term "case law".)
>
> For example: The carpool lane can only be used by a car with at least
> two passengers. Does a hearse with a driver and a dead body count? Does
> a woman 8 months pregnant count?

If the 8-month pregnant woman qualifies for using the carpool lane, she
can also be fined for driving with a child on her lap.

On Mon, 28 May 2012 08:25:36 -0400, Francois Labreque wrote:

> If the 8-month pregnant woman qualifies for using the carpool lane, she
> can also be fined for driving with a child on her lap.

Technically the child isn't on her lap.

Jim

Post a reply to this message