POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Monitor sizes Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:21:04 EDT (-0400)
  Monitor sizes (Message 11 to 20 of 70)
From: Slime
Subject: Re: Monitor sizes
Date: 8 Mar 2012 03:20:49
Message: <4f586be1$1@news.povray.org>
>    Monitor screen sizes do not seem to follow this trend, however, and
 > seem to grow a lot more linearly.

Assuming the supported resolution is changing proportionately, this is
actually quadratic growth in terms of number of pixels.

This is probably limited by graphics hardware in some way (although I'm
not sure how fast that grows in "power"). It's also limited by the fact
that popular OSs such as Windows still use pixels as a unit of
measurement, so there's limited benefit to higher resolutions as it
shrinks the size of important objects on screen.

  - Slime

Post a reply to this message

>  >    Monitor screen sizes do not seem to follow this trend, however, and
>  > seem to grow a lot more linearly.

> Assuming the supported resolution is changing proportionately, this is
> actually quadratic growth in terms of number of pixels.

  The standard measurement for screen size is the length of the diagonal.

> This is probably limited by graphics hardware in some way (although I'm
> not sure how fast that grows in "power"). It's also limited by the fact
> that popular OSs such as Windows still use pixels as a unit of
> measurement, so there's limited benefit to higher resolutions as it
> shrinks the size of important objects on screen.

  Resolution has little to do with screen size.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message