POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : today's fortune Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:22:59 EDT (-0400)
  today's fortune (Message 11 to 20 of 28)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 8 Messages >>>
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: today's fortune
Date: 6 Mar 2012 23:37:10
Message: <4f56e5f6@news.povray.org>
Em 06/03/2012 21:23, James Holsenback escreveu:
> On 03/06/2012 02:18 PM, nemesis wrote:
>> James Holsenback escreveu:
>>> Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!
>>
>> that's a good one. :)
>>
>> well, here's something quite short to cheer up the day too:
>>
>> http://eblong.com/zarf/zweb/dual/
>
> hey thanks ... a little diversion might just be what I need to break me
> out of my funk ... appreciate it!

caution here:  about as adictive as raytracing and posting on usenet... :)

and sorry for the thread highjacking...

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 6 Mar 2012 23:40:27
Message: <4f56e6bb@news.povray.org>
Em 06/03/2012 23:43, Darren New escreveu:
> On 3/6/2012 13:04, nemesis wrote:
>> Here's the history of the influential mainframe game ADVENT:
>
> FWIW, I have the source code for that sitting on my bookshelf. :-)

the fortran original or this one:

http://www-cs-staff.stanford.edu/~uno/programs.html#advent

Cool bit of trivia for Warp too:

Introduction.
The ur-game for computers --- Adventure --- was originally
written by Will Crowther in 1975 or 1976 and significantly extended by
Don Woods in 1977. I have taken Woods's original program
for Adventure Version 1.0 and recast it in the CWEB idiom.

I remember being fascinated by this game when John McCarthy showed it
to me in 1977. I started with no clues about the purpose of the game
or what I should do; just the computer's comment that I was at the
end of a forest road facing a small brick building. Little by little,
the game revealed its secrets, just as its designers had cleverly plotted.
What a thrill it was when I first got past the green snake! Clearly the
game was potentially addictive, so I forced myself to stop playing ---
reasoning that it was great fun, sure, but traditional computer science
research is great fun too, possibly even more so.

Now here I am, 21 years later, returning to the great Adventure after
having indeed had many exciting adventures in Computer Science. I believe
people who have played this game will be able to extend their fun by
reading its once-secret program. Of course I urge everybody /to play the
game first, at least ten times/, before reading on. But you cannot
fully appreciate the astonishing brilliance of its design until
you have seen all of the surprises that have been built in.

I believe this program is entirely faithful to the behavior of Adventure
Version 1.0, except that I have slightly edited the computer messages
(mostly so that they use both lowercase and uppercase letters). I have also
omitted Woods's elaborate machinery for closing the cave during the hours
of prime-time computing; I believe John McCarthy insisted on this, when
he saw the productivity of his AI Lab falling off dramatically---although
it is rumored that he had a special version of the program that
allowed him to play whenever he wanted. And I have
not adopted the encryption scheme by which Woods made it difficult for
users to find any important clues in
the binary program file or core image; such
modifications would best be done by making a special version of CTANGLE.
All of the spelunking constraints and interactive behavior have
been retained, although the structure of this CWEB program is
naturally quite different from the FORTRAN version that I began~with.

Many of the phrases in the following documentation have been lifted directly
from comments in the FORTRAN code. Please regard me as merely
a translator of the program, not as an author. I thank Don Woods for
helping me check the validity of this translation.

By the way, if you don't like |goto| statements, don't read this. (And don't
read any other programs that simulate multistate systems.)

--- Don Knuth, September 1998

McCarthy is the father of Lisp and AI, BTW.

Post a reply to this message