POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's suggestion Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:11:22 EDT (-0400)
  Today's suggestion (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Invisible
Subject: Today's suggestion
Date: 5 Mar 2012 04:59:41
Message: <4f548e8d$1@news.povray.org>
Required XKCD reference: http://xkcd.com/558/

To most people, "million", "billion" and "trillion" are almost
interchangeable terms. Which is worrying, because those are /very
different/ quantities. They're not even remotely similar. But it seems
that when talking about large numbers, people get a kind of "numbness"
where the quantities are so vast that they seemingly might as well be
non-finite.

But you know what? As far as I can tell, almost nobody mixes up a
kilowatt and a megawatt. Nobody confuses centimetres with millimetres.
No one has trouble with a gram and a kilogram being very different
quantities. And when was the last time you saw somebody [who has a clue]
mix up a gigabyte and a terabyte?

So, perhaps what we need to do is start measuring money using SI
prefixes. For surely 165 megadollars is clearly smaller than 170
gigadollars.

Sadly, I fear that for some, 20 millicents /will/ equal 20 millidollars.

Post a reply to this message

> To most people, "million", "billion" and "trillion" are almost
> interchangeable terms.

Names and addresses of at least three people who use them
interchangeably? (Your mother does not count.)

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> To most people, "million", "billion" and "trillion" are almost
>> interchangeable terms.
>
> Names and addresses of at least three people who use them
> interchangeably? (Your mother does not count.)

Well, if she uses them interchangeably, she definitely does not count
very well!

From: Stephen
Date: 5 Mar 2012 09:30:13
Message: <4f54cdf5$1@news.povray.org>
On 05/03/2012 1:06 PM, Francois Labreque wrote:

> Well, if she uses them interchangeably, she definitely does not count
> very well!

LOL

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Arttu Voutilainen
Date: 5 Mar 2012 10:07:52
Message: <4f54d6c8$1@news.povray.org>
On 05/03/12 11:59, Invisible wrote:
> Required XKCD reference: http://xkcd.com/558/
>
> To most people, "million", "billion" and "trillion" are almost
> interchangeable terms.

In Finnish we have "miljoona" (equals "million"), "miljardi" (equals
"billion") and "biljoona" (equals "trillion", not "billion"). Now when
someone translates a news article from some USA news service that
contains billion, it gets sometimes translated as "biljoona", which is
actually 1000 times more.

Actually, checking Wikipedia, it's not just us:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_large_numbers .

-- Arttu Voutilainen

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 5 Mar 2012 11:03:18
Message: <4f54e3c6@news.povray.org>
On 05/03/2012 03:07 PM, Arttu Voutilainen wrote:
> On 05/03/12 11:59, Invisible wrote:
>> Required XKCD reference: http://xkcd.com/558/
>>
>> To most people, "million", "billion" and "trillion" are almost
>> interchangeable terms.
>
> In Finnish we have "miljoona" (equals "million"), "miljardi" (equals
> "billion") and "biljoona" (equals "trillion", not "billion"). Now when
> someone translates a news article from some USA news service that
> contains billion, it gets sometimes translated as "biljoona", which is
> actually 1000 times more.
>
> Actually, checking Wikipedia, it's not just us:

No wonder MS Word has been advising people to just avoid the word
"billion" altogether. It's too ambiguous...

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 Mar 2012 11:22:02
Message: <4f54e82a$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 05 Mar 2012 09:59:40 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> To most people, "million", "billion" and "trillion" are almost
> interchangeable terms.

I think I'd want a cite specifically for non-hyperbolic usages (some
people 'interchange' the terms when used as hyperbole, that doesn't
really count as interchanging them.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 5 Mar 2012 13:12:50
Message: <4f550221@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> To most people, "million", "billion" and "trillion" are almost
> interchangeable terms.

> But you know what? As far as I can tell, almost nobody mixes up a
> kilowatt and a megawatt.

  In the same way as nobody mixes up a thousand and a million.

> Nobody confuses centimetres with millimetres.

  In the same way as nobody confuses a hundred with a thousand.

> No one has trouble with a gram and a kilogram being very different
> quantities.

  In the same way as no one having trouble distinguishing between 1 and
a thousand.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 5 Mar 2012 13:37:27
Message: <4f5507e7@news.povray.org>

> Required XKCD reference: http://xkcd.com/558/
>
> To most people, "million", "billion" and "trillion" are almost
> interchangeable terms. Which is worrying, because those are /very
> different/ quantities. They're not even remotely similar. But it seems
> that when talking about large numbers, people get a kind of "numbness"
> where the quantities are so vast that they seemingly might as well be
> non-finite.
>
> But you know what? As far as I can tell, almost nobody mixes up a
> kilowatt and a megawatt. Nobody confuses centimetres with millimetres.
> No one has trouble with a gram and a kilogram being very different
> quantities. And when was the last time you saw somebody [who has a clue]
> mix up a gigabyte and a terabyte?
>
> So, perhaps what we need to do is start measuring money using SI
> prefixes. For surely 165 megadollars is clearly smaller than 170
> gigadollars.
>
> Sadly, I fear that for some, 20 millicents /will/ equal 20 millidollars.

It's even worst when you speak French. We have an additional step
between million, billion, trillion...

million = 1000000 = 10^6
milliard = 1000000000 or 1000 millions = 10^9
billion = 1000000000000 or 1 millions millions = 10^12
billiard = 10^15
trillion = 1 million billions = 10^18
trilliard = 10^21
quatrillion = 1 millions trillions = 10^24
quatrilliard = 10^27
quintillion = 10^30
quintilliard = 10^33

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 5 Mar 2012 13:52:40
Message: <4f550b78$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/5/2012 10:12 AM, Warp wrote:
> Invisible<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> To most people, "million", "billion" and "trillion" are almost
>> interchangeable terms.
>
>> But you know what? As far as I can tell, almost nobody mixes up a
>> kilowatt and a megawatt.
>
>    In the same way as nobody mixes up a thousand and a million.

Echoes my thoughts exactly; a thousand-fold difference "mentally"
matters much more for smaller numbers.  I'd imagine that mix-ups
between, say,  megabytes, gigabytes, and terabytes are as common as
those between million, billion, and trillion.  It's also a bit rare that
I see either of these errors, so I don't know where Invisible got the
"to most people" aspect, although surveys testing the general public's
math knowledge tend to be scary enough that I suppose it's possible.

One error I *do* see all the time though, is a misuse of the term
"exponential" to mean anything superlinear (or just "a lot").  In
informal conversation it's a little grating, but sort of ok since it's a
relatively standard use of the word.  When grading physics labs,
however, I saw parabolas called "exponential" more often than I saw them
called anything correct, and it drove my absolutely bonkers.