POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's suggestion : Today's suggestion Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:17:49 EDT (-0400)
  Today's suggestion
From: Invisible
Date: 5 Mar 2012 04:59:41
Message: <4f548e8d$1@news.povray.org>
Required XKCD reference: http://xkcd.com/558/

To most people, "million", "billion" and "trillion" are almost
interchangeable terms. Which is worrying, because those are /very
different/ quantities. They're not even remotely similar. But it seems
that when talking about large numbers, people get a kind of "numbness"
where the quantities are so vast that they seemingly might as well be
non-finite.

But you know what? As far as I can tell, almost nobody mixes up a
kilowatt and a megawatt. Nobody confuses centimetres with millimetres.
No one has trouble with a gram and a kilogram being very different
quantities. And when was the last time you saw somebody [who has a clue]
mix up a gigabyte and a terabyte?

So, perhaps what we need to do is start measuring money using SI
prefixes. For surely 165 megadollars is clearly smaller than 170
gigadollars.

Sadly, I fear that for some, 20 millicents /will/ equal 20 millidollars.