POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's suggestion : Re: Today's suggestion Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:17:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's suggestion
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 5 Mar 2012 13:52:40
Message: <4f550b78$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/5/2012 10:12 AM, Warp wrote:
> Invisible<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> To most people, "million", "billion" and "trillion" are almost
>> interchangeable terms.
>
>> But you know what? As far as I can tell, almost nobody mixes up a
>> kilowatt and a megawatt.
>
>    In the same way as nobody mixes up a thousand and a million.

Echoes my thoughts exactly; a thousand-fold difference "mentally"
matters much more for smaller numbers.  I'd imagine that mix-ups
between, say,  megabytes, gigabytes, and terabytes are as common as
those between million, billion, and trillion.  It's also a bit rare that
I see either of these errors, so I don't know where Invisible got the
"to most people" aspect, although surveys testing the general public's
math knowledge tend to be scary enough that I suppose it's possible.

One error I *do* see all the time though, is a misuse of the term
"exponential" to mean anything superlinear (or just "a lot").  In
informal conversation it's a little grating, but sort of ok since it's a
relatively standard use of the word.  When grading physics labs,
however, I saw parabolas called "exponential" more often than I saw them
called anything correct, and it drove my absolutely bonkers.