POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Something is wrong with me Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:24:58 EDT (-0400)
  Something is wrong with me (Message 1 to 10 of 19)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Something is wrong with me
Date: 1 Mar 2012 16:42:42
Message: <4f4fed52$1@news.povray.org>
Obviously the subject line is self-evidently true. However... every time
I hear Rocky Sharpe sing "Return to Sender", I inexplicably find myself
thinking about ICMP, the Internet Control Message Protocol. (??!)

   I gave a message to my local gateway,
   He forwarded it to the next hop.
   But 84 milliseconds later,
   It came right back to me.

   She wrote upon it:
   ICMP destination unreachable.
   No such network.
   No such protocol.

Perhaps I should seek professional help...

(But do I need a therapist or a lyricist? :-P )

Post a reply to this message

Le 01/03/2012 22:42, Orchid Win7 v1 nous fit lire :
> Obviously the subject line is self-evidently true. However... every time
> I hear Rocky Sharpe sing "Return to Sender", I inexplicably find myself
> thinking about ICMP, the Internet Control Message Protocol. (??!)
>
>   I gave a message to my local gateway,
>   He forwarded it to the next hop.
>   But 84 milliseconds later,
>   It came right back to me.
>
>   She wrote upon it:
>   ICMP destination unreachable.
>   No such network.
>   No such protocol.
>
> Perhaps I should seek professional help...
>
> (But do I need a therapist or a lyricist? :-P )

You need a network professional. 84 ms as round trip for local gateway
is far too long. That would be a network therapist.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 1 Mar 2012 16:56:16
Message: <4f4ff080$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 22:54:36 +0100, Le_Forgeron wrote:

> Le 01/03/2012 22:42, Orchid Win7 v1 nous fit lire :
>> Obviously the subject line is self-evidently true. However... every
>> time I hear Rocky Sharpe sing "Return to Sender", I inexplicably find
>> myself thinking about ICMP, the Internet Control Message Protocol.
>> (??!)
>>
>>   I gave a message to my local gateway,
>>   He forwarded it to the next hop.
>>   But 84 milliseconds later,
>>   It came right back to me.
>>
>>   She wrote upon it:
>>   ICMP destination unreachable.
>>   No such network.
>>   No such protocol.
>>
>> Perhaps I should seek professional help...
>>
>> (But do I need a therapist or a lyricist? :-P )
>>
> You need a network professional. 84 ms as round trip for local gateway
> is far too long. That would be a network therapist.

LOL, I concur. :)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 1 Mar 2012 17:07:29
Message: <4f4ff321$1@news.povray.org>
>> Perhaps I should seek professional help...
>>
>> (But do I need a therapist or a lyricist? :-P )
>>
> You need a network professional. 84 ms as round trip for local gateway
> is far too long. That would be a network therapist.

Who said it was returned by the /local/ gateway? It could be returned by
any node along the route.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 1 Mar 2012 17:08:25
Message: <4f4ff359$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 22:07:26 +0000, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>>> Perhaps I should seek professional help...
>>>
>>> (But do I need a therapist or a lyricist? :-P )
>>>
>> You need a network professional. 84 ms as round trip for local gateway
>> is far too long. That would be a network therapist.
>
> Who said it was returned by the /local/ gateway? It could be returned by
> any node along the route.

First line of the lyrics:

   I gave a message to my local gateway,

That's where I got it from, though it seems that actually the reply is
coming from the next hop.

Still, 84 ms is kinda slow for a single hop away.  I'd be talking to the
ISP. :)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 1 Mar 2012 17:23:39
Message: <4f4ff6ea@news.povray.org>
> > Who said it was returned by the /local/ gateway? It could be returned by
> > any node along the route.

> First line of the lyrics:

>    I gave a message to my local gateway,

  Theoretically the local gateway could be at the other side of the
Atlantic (although I assume that this would be highly difficult to
set up in practice).

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 1 Mar 2012 17:33:28
Message: <4f4ff938@news.povray.org>
Orchid Win7 v1 escreveu:
> (But do I need a therapist or a lyricist? :-P )

you need rhymes. :)

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 1 Mar 2012 18:34:33
Message: <4f500789$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 17:23:39 -0500, Warp wrote:

>> > Who said it was returned by the /local/ gateway? It could be returned
>> > by any node along the route.
>
>> First line of the lyrics:
>
>>    I gave a message to my local gateway,
>
>   Theoretically the local gateway could be at the other side of the
> Atlantic (although I assume that this would be highly difficult to set
> up in practice).

Depends on the networking technology in use.

I've done work with MMV statellite connections, and IIRC, the satellite
(in geostationary orbit) was the gateway in at least one test case.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 2 Mar 2012 04:03:17
Message: <4f508cd5$1@news.povray.org>
>> Who said it was returned by the /local/ gateway? It could be returned by
>> any node along the route.
>
> First line of the lyrics:
>
>     I gave a message to my local gateway,
>
> That's where I got it from, though it seems that actually the reply is
> coming from the next hop.
>
> Still, 84 ms is kinda slow for a single hop away.  I'd be talking to the
> ISP. :)

I say again: ICMP replies can come from /any/ hop along the route, not
just the first or second hop.

Exhibit A: traceroute.

Also... At one point we had the misfortune to use a satellite-based
Internet connection. The /bandwidth/ was fine, but latency was about 200
ms to ping Google. They had a big expensive HTTP proxy cache on the
local end to try to hide the latency - which /obviously/ had absolutely
no effect on the huge array of non-HTTP services we need to run... But
hey, what do you expect if you try to use a residential broadband
service set up by three blokes in a van when what you actually need is
an enterprise-class connection?

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 2 Mar 2012 04:04:05
Message: <4f508d05$1@news.povray.org>
On 01/03/2012 10:33 PM, nemesis wrote:
> Orchid Win7 v1 escreveu:
>> (But do I need a therapist or a lyricist? :-P )
>
> you need rhymes. :)

rhymes > mimes :-)

Oh, and rhythm would be good too I guess...