POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Something is wrong with me : Re: Something is wrong with me Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:19:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Something is wrong with me
From: Invisible
Date: 2 Mar 2012 04:03:17
Message: <4f508cd5$1@news.povray.org>
>> Who said it was returned by the /local/ gateway? It could be returned by
>> any node along the route.
>
> First line of the lyrics:
>
>     I gave a message to my local gateway,
>
> That's where I got it from, though it seems that actually the reply is
> coming from the next hop.
>
> Still, 84 ms is kinda slow for a single hop away.  I'd be talking to the
> ISP. :)

I say again: ICMP replies can come from /any/ hop along the route, not
just the first or second hop.

Exhibit A: traceroute.

Also... At one point we had the misfortune to use a satellite-based
Internet connection. The /bandwidth/ was fine, but latency was about 200
ms to ping Google. They had a big expensive HTTP proxy cache on the
local end to try to hide the latency - which /obviously/ had absolutely
no effect on the huge array of non-HTTP services we need to run... But
hey, what do you expect if you try to use a residential broadband
service set up by three blokes in a van when what you actually need is
an enterprise-class connection?