POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Something is wrong with me Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:18:30 EDT (-0400)
  Something is wrong with me (Message 10 to 19 of 19)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Something is wrong with me
Date: 2 Mar 2012 04:04:05
Message: <4f508d05$1@news.povray.org>
On 01/03/2012 10:33 PM, nemesis wrote:
> Orchid Win7 v1 escreveu:
>> (But do I need a therapist or a lyricist? :-P )
>
> you need rhymes. :)

rhymes > mimes :-)

Oh, and rhythm would be good too I guess...

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 2 Mar 2012 05:25:10
Message: <4f50a006$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 09:03:30 +0000, Invisible wrote:

>>> Who said it was returned by the /local/ gateway? It could be returned
>>> by any node along the route.
>>
>> First line of the lyrics:
>>
>>     I gave a message to my local gateway,
>>
>> That's where I got it from, though it seems that actually the reply is
>> coming from the next hop.
>>
>> Still, 84 ms is kinda slow for a single hop away.  I'd be talking to
>> the ISP. :)
>
> I say again: ICMP replies can come from /any/ hop along the route, not
> just the first or second hop.

Yes, I'm well aware of what ICMP's uses are.  I've only been working with
TCP/IP and networking in general for 15+ years.

But the lyric says the message was given to the local gateway.  Not to
some random device on the Internet, but to the gateway itself.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>>> Still, 84 ms is kinda slow for a single hop away.  I'd be talking to
>>> the ISP. :)
>>
>> I say again: ICMP replies can come from /any/ hop along the route, not
>> just the first or second hop.
>
> Yes, I'm well aware of what ICMP's uses are.  I've only been working with
> TCP/IP and networking in general for 15+ years.
>
> But the lyric says the message was given to the local gateway.  Not to
> some random device on the Internet, but to the gateway itself.

*sigh* To send traffic to a distant host, you first forward it to the
local gateway. The gateway then forwards it to the next hop, and so forth.

Much like how the original song begins "I gave a letter to the postman,
he put it in his sack". That's how you send a letter. It doesn't mean
the letter is actually addressed to the postman himself. Sheesh...

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 11:28:30 +0000, Invisible wrote:

>>> I say again: ICMP replies can come from /any/ hop along the route, not
>>> just the first or second hop.
>>
>> Yes, I'm well aware of what ICMP's uses are.  I've only been working
>> with TCP/IP and networking in general for 15+ years.
>>
>> But the lyric says the message was given to the local gateway.  Not to
>> some random device on the Internet, but to the gateway itself.
>
> *sigh* To send traffic to a distant host, you first forward it to the
> local gateway. The gateway then forwards it to the next hop, and so
> forth.

Of course, I know that - you don't need to explain basic networking
protocols to me.

We're obviously reading that line with two valid interpretations of the
lyric.

> Much like how the original song begins "I gave a letter to the postman,
> he put it in his sack". That's how you send a letter. It doesn't mean
> the letter is actually addressed to the postman himself. Sheesh...

You're getting awfully wound up about this.  There's no need - as I said,
we're each interpreting the line differently.  If you can't see that (or
see the humour in my interpretation), your loss. :)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>> Much like how the original song begins "I gave a letter to the postman,
>> he put it in his sack". That's how you send a letter. It doesn't mean
>> the letter is actually addressed to the postman himself. Sheesh...
>
> You're getting awfully wound up about this.  There's no need - as I said,
> we're each interpreting the line differently.  If you can't see that (or
> see the humour in my interpretation), your loss. :)

Perhaps not as wound up as you imagine. I just thought the meaning was
fairly obvious, that's all...

Now, why this song makes me thing about computer networking in the first
place? That /is/ slightly worrying. o_O

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 12:53:18 +0000, Invisible wrote:

>>> Much like how the original song begins "I gave a letter to the
>>> postman,
>>> he put it in his sack". That's how you send a letter. It doesn't mean
>>> the letter is actually addressed to the postman himself. Sheesh...
>>
>> You're getting awfully wound up about this.  There's no need - as I
>> said,
>> we're each interpreting the line differently.  If you can't see that
>> (or see the humour in my interpretation), your loss. :)
>
> Perhaps not as wound up as you imagine. I just thought the meaning was
> fairly obvious, that's all...

Like I said, multiple ways to read it.  But 84 ms RTT would be pretty
incredible for a large number of hops, that's also true. :)

> Now, why this song makes me thing about computer networking in the first
> place? That /is/ slightly worrying. o_O

"Delivery" having more than one meaning, perhaps? :)

Jim

Post a reply to this message