POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Something is wrong with me : Re: Something is wrong with me Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:28:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Something is wrong with me
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 2 Mar 2012 06:37:36
Message: <4f50b100$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 11:28:30 +0000, Invisible wrote:

>>> I say again: ICMP replies can come from /any/ hop along the route, not
>>> just the first or second hop.
>>
>> Yes, I'm well aware of what ICMP's uses are.  I've only been working
>> with TCP/IP and networking in general for 15+ years.
>>
>> But the lyric says the message was given to the local gateway.  Not to
>> some random device on the Internet, but to the gateway itself.
>
> *sigh* To send traffic to a distant host, you first forward it to the
> local gateway. The gateway then forwards it to the next hop, and so
> forth.

Of course, I know that - you don't need to explain basic networking
protocols to me.

We're obviously reading that line with two valid interpretations of the
lyric.

> Much like how the original song begins "I gave a letter to the postman,
> he put it in his sack". That's how you send a letter. It doesn't mean
> the letter is actually addressed to the postman himself. Sheesh...

You're getting awfully wound up about this.  There's no need - as I said,
we're each interpreting the line differently.  If you can't see that (or
see the humour in my interpretation), your loss. :)

Jim