POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Something is wrong with me : Re: Something is wrong with me Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:28:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Something is wrong with me
From: Invisible
Date: 2 Mar 2012 06:28:30
Message: <4f50aede$1@news.povray.org>
>>> Still, 84 ms is kinda slow for a single hop away.  I'd be talking to
>>> the ISP. :)
>>
>> I say again: ICMP replies can come from /any/ hop along the route, not
>> just the first or second hop.
>
> Yes, I'm well aware of what ICMP's uses are.  I've only been working with
> TCP/IP and networking in general for 15+ years.
>
> But the lyric says the message was given to the local gateway.  Not to
> some random device on the Internet, but to the gateway itself.

*sigh* To send traffic to a distant host, you first forward it to the
local gateway. The gateway then forwards it to the next hop, and so forth.

Much like how the original song begins "I gave a letter to the postman,
he put it in his sack". That's how you send a letter. It doesn't mean
the letter is actually addressed to the postman himself. Sheesh...