POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : PIPA and SOPA Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:26:16 EDT (-0400)
  PIPA and SOPA (Message 39 to 48 of 188)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: PIPA and SOPA
Date: 23 Jan 2012 11:06:28
Message: <4f1d8584@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 15:44:47 +0000, Invisible wrote:

>>> Sure. Any technically sophisticated Internet user won't have too much
>>> trouble getting around the blacklist. The clueless newbies? Not so
>>> much.
>>
>> Actually, I don't think many of the users in Egypt were anything more
>> than normal users, but the techies made it easy for them to route
>> around the government-imposed outage during the uprising there.
>
> Am I missing something?

You were aware that Hosni Mubarak is no longer in charge in Egypt and
that they had a "small" revolution last year, weren't you?

>>> I have to admit, Wikipedia's blackout is the very first time I'd even
>>> *heard* of The Pirate Bay.
>>
>> <boggle>
>
> What? Like it's famous or something?

Arguably the most famous torrent site in the world.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>>> Actually, I don't think many of the users in Egypt were anything more
>>> than normal users, but the techies made it easy for them to route
>>> around the government-imposed outage during the uprising there.
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>
> You were aware that Hosni Mubarak is no longer in charge in Egypt and
> that they had a "small" revolution last year, weren't you?

Nope. The politics of remote countries isn't something I generally keep
up with. (Heck, the politics of *this* country isn't something I avidly
follow...)

>>> <boggle>
>>
>> What? Like it's famous or something?
>
> Arguably the most famous torrent site in the world.

And Edgar Froese is arguably the most famous band member ever to be in
Tangerine Dream... Have *you* ever heard of him?

Fame is a relative thing.

Post a reply to this message

>>> What? Like it's famous or something?
>>
>> Arguably the most famous torrent site in the world.
>
> And Edgar Froese is arguably the most famous band member ever to be in
> Tangerine Dream... Have *you* ever heard of him?
>
> Fame is a relative thing.

Are you really willing to compare the fame of a pretty obscure band to
the fame of a website that serves every kind of content to pretty much
everyone in the net?

Post a reply to this message