POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dual Server Failure Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:25:39 EDT (-0400)
  Dual Server Failure (Message 11 to 20 of 65)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Dual Server Failure
Date: 16 Jan 2012 11:07:52
Message: <4f144b58@news.povray.org>
>> Yeah, it's funny... I've noticed this strange correlation between
>> expensive down-time and management willingness to invest in
>> fault-tolerant equipment. ;-)
>
> As we get more people and process more data - the more down time will
> cost. Eventually we may get to higher uptime requirements - but for now
> 2 hours of downtime 2x a year is not too bad.

As with everything, it depends on just how expensive down-time actually
is. If the answer is "not very", you don't need to worry about fixing it
too much.

Amusing anecdote: One of our servers had a hardware RAID system. The
idea is that if one of the drives dies, the RAID controller will keep
the server operational. You know what died? THE RAID CONTROLLER! >_<

Post a reply to this message

>>> Yeah, it's funny... I've noticed this strange correlation between
>>> expensive down-time and management willingness to invest in
>>> fault-tolerant equipment. ;-)
>>
>> As we get more people and process more data - the more down time will
>> cost. Eventually we may get to higher uptime requirements - but for now
>> 2 hours of downtime 2x a year is not too bad.
>
> As with everything, it depends on just how expensive down-time actually
> is. If the answer is "not very", you don't need to worry about fixing it
> too much.
>
> Amusing anecdote: One of our servers had a hardware RAID system. The
> idea is that if one of the drives dies, the RAID controller will keep
> the server operational. You know what died? THE RAID CONTROLLER! >_<

I like what Google has set up - files are stored everywhere on cheap
hardware.  If something fails, then it just gets swapped out.  But the
cheap hardware fails often and requires more manpower to manage and
replace it.

Post a reply to this message

On 16/01/2012 7:12 PM, Tom Austin wrote:
> But the cheap hardware fails often and requires more manpower to manage
> and replace it.

Jobs! :-D

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> Amusing anecdote: One of our servers had a hardware RAID system. The
>> idea is that if one of the drives dies, the RAID controller will keep
>> the server operational. You know what died? THE RAID CONTROLLER! >_<
>
> I like what Google has set up - files are stored everywhere on cheap
> hardware. If something fails, then it just gets swapped out. But the
> cheap hardware fails often and requires more manpower to manage and
> replace it.

Yeah, but most people can't do that. Most people don't have the space,
ventilation or power requirements to host hundreds of boxes, nor the
money to pay a team of twenty people to keep it all running.

On top of that, most applications are /not/ designed for distributed
implementation. If you're Google, you can just /write/ the software you
need. Most business buy it off the shelf.

Post a reply to this message

> Yeah, but most people can't do that. Most people don't have the space,
> ventilation or power requirements to host hundreds of boxes, nor the money
> to pay a team of twenty people to keep it all running.

Google has hundreds of computers in their data centers. Unfortunately for
you, Google counts "a shipping container full of thousands of mother boards
and disk drives" as "a computer". ;-)  It's really quite awesome. Upgrading
a server is known as "forklifting" it.

> On top of that, most applications are /not/ designed for distributed
> implementation. If you're Google, you can just /write/ the software you
> need. Most business buy it off the shelf.

And you know, I really, really miss SQL. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

On 18/01/2012 03:04 AM, Darren New wrote:
> Google has hundreds of computers in their data centers. Unfortunately
> for you, Google counts "a shipping container full of thousands of mother
> boards and disk drives" as "a computer". ;-) It's really quite awesome.
> Upgrading a server is known as "forklifting" it.

Pictures or it didn't happen. :-P

Actually, I was just thinking about how many scrap PCs you could
scavenge and wire together to make a cluster. I wonder how much old junk
you would need to even come close to the processing power of a single
high-spec PC?

> And you know, I really, really miss SQL. :-)

Even if it does violate the relational model? Aww, it must be wuv...

Post a reply to this message

> On 16/01/2012 7:12 PM, Tom Austin wrote:
>> But the cheap hardware fails often and requires more manpower to manage
>> and replace it.
>
> Jobs! :-D

No.  He died a while back.

On 18/01/2012 1:42 PM, Francois Labreque wrote:

>> On 16/01/2012 7:12 PM, Tom Austin wrote:
>>> But the cheap hardware fails often and requires more manpower to manage
>>> and replace it.
>>
>> Jobs! :-D
>>

> No. He died a while back.

Jobbies! Then. :-P