POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dual Server Failure : Re: Dual Server Failure Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:15:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dual Server Failure
From: Invisible
Date: 17 Jan 2012 04:06:16
Message: <4f153a08@news.povray.org>
>> Amusing anecdote: One of our servers had a hardware RAID system. The
>> idea is that if one of the drives dies, the RAID controller will keep
>> the server operational. You know what died? THE RAID CONTROLLER! >_<
>
> I like what Google has set up - files are stored everywhere on cheap
> hardware. If something fails, then it just gets swapped out. But the
> cheap hardware fails often and requires more manpower to manage and
> replace it.

Yeah, but most people can't do that. Most people don't have the space,
ventilation or power requirements to host hundreds of boxes, nor the
money to pay a team of twenty people to keep it all running.

On top of that, most applications are /not/ designed for distributed
implementation. If you're Google, you can just /write/ the software you
need. Most business buy it off the shelf.