POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dual Server Failure : Re: Dual Server Failure Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:13:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dual Server Failure
From: Darren New
Date: 17 Jan 2012 22:04:13
Message: <4f1636ad$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/17/2012 1:06, Invisible wrote:
> Yeah, but most people can't do that. Most people don't have the space,
> ventilation or power requirements to host hundreds of boxes, nor the money
> to pay a team of twenty people to keep it all running.

Google has hundreds of computers in their data centers. Unfortunately for
you, Google counts "a shipping container full of thousands of mother boards
and disk drives" as "a computer". ;-)  It's really quite awesome. Upgrading
a server is known as "forklifting" it.

> On top of that, most applications are /not/ designed for distributed
> implementation. If you're Google, you can just /write/ the software you
> need. Most business buy it off the shelf.

And you know, I really, really miss SQL. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)