POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPod Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:30:57 EDT (-0400)
  iPod (Message 21 to 30 of 42)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: iPod
Date: 8 Nov 2011 13:26:25
Message: <4eb97451@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mcavoys_at@aoldotcom> wrote:
> Maybe in Finland.
> In the South East of England you look like someone who cares about what
> they are listening to.

  I have never understood why some people are so obsessed with music.

  I have met several people like this. When they arrive at home from
school or work, what's the very first thing they do? Put some music on.
One particularly pathological case would immediately put MTV on, and he
would keep it on all day unless he watched something else on TV. And only
that. Anything else, MTV stayed on. Even if he eg. played some computer
game (with its own music), MTV would stay on. (This was back when MTV still
played mostly music videos.)

  It's actually hard to have a meaningful conversation with someone when
music is playing all the time. I have taken the principle that if I have
to raise my voice to be heard over the music, I don't. Either they get the
hint, or they aren't interested in what I'm saying anyways. Music is more
important to them.

  These people go so far as to being unable to concentrate eg. on homework
if music isn't playing. They are *dependent* on music. It's an addiction.
If there's no music playing they cannot concentrate. It's like a person who
is pathologically addicted to caffeine not having their morning coffee.
They can't do anything.

  Of course for most people it's not enough to have music playing at home.
They have to have music playing *all the freaking time*, which is why they
invented portable music players. This way these addicts can have their music
playing all the time, even though it risks their life. (Walking on the
street with music playing diminishes your capability of hearing the traffic
and other things happening around you, and could possibly distract you in
other ways as well.)

  Personally I can't stand constant music for over a half hour. It becomes
numbing and annoying pretty quick. (In a movie it's ok, because the music
has a purpose.) I never play music at home. (Pre-recorded music, that is.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message