POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPod : Re: iPod Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:21:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iPod
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 Nov 2011 14:22:39
Message: <4eb9817f$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 19:11:50 +0000, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> My player holds only Ogg Vorbis files. Back when I got it, finding
>>> players which support Vorbis was quite hard... I don't know if that
>>> has changed now.
>>
>> Anything that you can install Rockbox on supports Ogg Vorbis just fine.
>
> Sure. But installing Rockbox isn't exactly a trivial operation. And it's
> not supported on every player on the market, only some of them.
> (Fortunately, mine is supported.)

That's the only thing that matters, then.

Oh, and installation?  Yes, it's trivial.  Download the current release,
run the app, plug the player in - and the installer takes care of it for
you.

> My point was more that all players support MP3 out of the box, a few
> support WMA or AAC, but Ogg Vorbis seemed to be quite rare. I'm not sure
> if it still is or not...

It is, which is why I recommend Rockbox myself (though I switch back and
forth between Rockbox and the stock iPod firmware, because Rockbox
doesn't support my dock).

>> Which includes many iPods and the aforementioned Sanza Clip.
>
> I'm actually kinda surprised it works on the iPod; you would have
> thought Apple would have gone to extreme lengths to prevent that.

Well, it seems that in spite of any efforts they've made, it does work.
I've been using it for years.

Just like Android handset manufacturers go to "extreme lengths" to
prevent jailbreaking, yet jailbreaking phones is pretty commonplace - and
in many cases, trivial.

Jim