POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OpenCL Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:33:56 EDT (-0400)
  OpenCL (Message 1 to 10 of 40)
From: Ive
Subject: OpenCL
Date: 16 Aug 2011 07:58:59
Message: <4e4a5b83$1@news.povray.org>
about the FAQ "POV-Ray/raytracing on GPU" I am actually quite curious
how many systems would actually support double precession floating point
types (as needed by POV-Ray) and how *fast* they are.

If you are not using Windows(tm) there is no need to read on because
Apple's OpenCL implementation does currently not support 64bit floats
anyway and the same is AFAIK true for any Linux system. This might and
should change in the future but this is the current situation.

I've written a simple Windows program (a kind of "realtime" Mandelbrot
explorer) that is meant to check the capabilities of your system.

You can download it here (please check the included readme.txt)

http://www.lilysoft.org/Download/YAMF/yamf.zip

and send an email to me (ive[at]lilysoft[dot]org) or maybe simply reply
to this post. My guess is that both the availability and performance
gain will be quite disappointing.

thanks a lot
-Ive

Post a reply to this message

> about the FAQ "POV-Ray/raytracing on GPU" I am actually quite curious
> how many systems would actually support double precession floating point
> types (as needed by POV-Ray) and how *fast* they are.
>
> If you are not using Windows(tm) there is no need to read on because
> Apple's OpenCL implementation does currently not support 64bit floats
> anyway and the same is AFAIK true for any Linux system. This might and
> should change in the future but this is the current situation.
>
> I've written a simple Windows program (a kind of "realtime" Mandelbrot
> explorer) that is meant to check the capabilities of your system.
>
> You can download it here (please check the included readme.txt)
>
> http://www.lilysoft.org/Download/YAMF/yamf.zip
>
> and send an email to me (ive[at]lilysoft[dot]org) or maybe simply reply
> to this post. My guess is that both the availability and performance
> gain will be quite disappointing.

Benchmark result:
---------------------------
Window size 540 x 540 pixel
Maximal 1024 iterations

CPU with 8 threads
fps 6.82527

OpenCL GPU with 30 worker units
GeForce GTX 285
fps 26.41509
---------------------------
(CPU is an Intel i7 QuadCore)

OpenCL information:
---------------------------
Platform 0
   OpenCL 1.0 CUDA 4.0.1
   NVIDIA CUDA
   NVIDIA Corporation

   Device 0 - GPU  30 computing units active
     JIT compiler installed
     Data types with preferred and native vector width
       8bit integer: 1, 0
     16bit integer: 1, 0
     32bit integer: 1, 0
     64bit integer: 1, 0