POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OpenCL : OpenCL Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:12:20 EDT (-0400)
  OpenCL
From: Ive
Date: 16 Aug 2011 07:58:59
Message: <4e4a5b83$1@news.povray.org>
about the FAQ "POV-Ray/raytracing on GPU" I am actually quite curious
how many systems would actually support double precession floating point
types (as needed by POV-Ray) and how *fast* they are.

If you are not using Windows(tm) there is no need to read on because
Apple's OpenCL implementation does currently not support 64bit floats
anyway and the same is AFAIK true for any Linux system. This might and
should change in the future but this is the current situation.

I've written a simple Windows program (a kind of "realtime" Mandelbrot
explorer) that is meant to check the capabilities of your system.

You can download it here (please check the included readme.txt)

http://www.lilysoft.org/Download/YAMF/yamf.zip

and send an email to me (ive[at]lilysoft[dot]org) or maybe simply reply
to this post. My guess is that both the availability and performance
gain will be quite disappointing.

thanks a lot
-Ive