POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OpenCL : Re: OpenCL Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:16:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OpenCL
From: clipka
Date: 18 Aug 2011 05:54:06
Message: <4e4ce13e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 16.08.2011 13:58, schrieb Ive:
> about the FAQ "POV-Ray/raytracing on GPU" I am actually quite curious
> how many systems would actually support double precession floating point
> types (as needed by POV-Ray) and how *fast* they are.
>
> If you are not using Windows(tm) there is no need to read on because
> Apple's OpenCL implementation does currently not support 64bit floats
> anyway and the same is AFAIK true for any Linux system. This might and
> should change in the future but this is the current situation.
>
> I've written a simple Windows program (a kind of "realtime" Mandelbrot
> explorer) that is meant to check the capabilities of your system.
>
> You can download it here (please check the included readme.txt)
>
> http://www.lilysoft.org/Download/YAMF/yamf.zip
>
> and send an email to me (ive[at]lilysoft[dot]org) or maybe simply reply
> to this post. My guess is that both the availability and performance
> gain will be quite disappointing.

Benchmark result:
---------------------------
Window size 540 x 540 pixel
Maximal 1024 iterations

CPU with 8 threads
fps 6.82527

OpenCL GPU with 30 worker units
GeForce GTX 285
fps 26.41509
---------------------------
(CPU is an Intel i7 QuadCore)

OpenCL information:
---------------------------
Platform 0
   OpenCL 1.0 CUDA 4.0.1
   NVIDIA CUDA
   NVIDIA Corporation

   Device 0 - GPU  30 computing units active
     JIT compiler installed
     Data types with preferred and native vector width
       8bit integer: 1, 0
     16bit integer: 1, 0
     32bit integer: 1, 0
     64bit integer: 1, 0