POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : For metric gamers Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:24:31 EDT (-0400)
  For metric gamers (Message 1 to 10 of 42)
From: Darren New
Subject: For metric gamers
Date: 3 Oct 2011 12:13:20
Message: <4e89df20$1@news.povray.org>
Just for those who never grew up around explosive barrels...

The barrels in things like HL2 are what Americans call "55 gallon drums."
It's how things like grease or oil for your automobile gets shipped to
retailers like service stations or auto dealers.

55 gallons is the amount of oil in a "barrel of oil."

So when you hear on the news that some country is exporting 2 million
barrels a day of oil or something, you have an idea what they mean. A barrel
of oil is the size of one of the barrels in HL2 (or most other games, for
that matter), aka a "55-gallon drum."

Impress your metric friends with this obscure knowledge, brought to you by
someone whose dad owned a gas station for many years.
--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?

Post a reply to this message

On 03/10/2011 5:13 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Impress your metric friends with this obscure knowledge,

Impress them even more. ;-)

1 Imperial beer barrel = 240 real pints = 288 US pints.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 18:38:18 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 03/10/2011 5:13 PM, Darren New wrote:
>> Impress your metric friends with this obscure knowledge,
>
> Impress them even more. ;-)
>
> 1 Imperial beer barrel = 240 real pints = 288 US pints.

Nah, even more impressive:

1 cup:

"Standard" in the US:  237 ml
"Nutrition Label" in the US:  240 ml
In the UK:  284 ml

Or in answer to the question:  Which weighs more, an ounce of feathers or
an ounce of gold?

(Answer:  an ounce of gold, because it's a troy ounce, not a 'normal'
ounce)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On 03/10/2011 08:17 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:

> Or in answer to the question:  Which weighs more, an ounce of feathers or
> an ounce of gold?
>
> (Answer:  an ounce of gold, because it's a troy ounce, not a 'normal'
> ounce)

Never mind that. WTF is "a wee dram" of whiskey??

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

Le 2011/10/03 12:13, Darren New a écrit :
> Just for those who never grew up around explosive barrels...
>
> The barrels in things like HL2 are what Americans call "55 gallon
> drums." It's how things like grease or oil for your automobile gets
> shipped to retailers like service stations or auto dealers.
>
> 55 gallons is the amount of oil in a "barrel of oil."
>
> So when you hear on the news that some country is exporting 2 million
> barrels a day of oil or something, you have an idea what they mean. A
> barrel of oil is the size of one of the barrels in HL2 (or most other
> games, for that matter), aka a "55-gallon drum."
>
> Impress your metric friends with this obscure knowledge, brought to you
> by someone whose dad owned a gas station for many years.

And, outside the USA, they are 40 /imperial/ gallons drums, not 55 /US/
gallons.

One of the reasons behind the secession was the systematic shortchanging
imposed by England.
They sold you goods using the US gallon, but bought goods using the
bigger Imperial Gallons.
The dollar is also a colonial curency. Originaly, it's value was $1 =
1£, then got depreciated down to 1£ = $2.

I always wonder WHY the USA kept that colonial mesurment system. The
metric system did exist at that time. Back then, it would have been easy
to adopt the metric system and ditch the hated imperial system.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

Le 2011/10/03 15:25, Orchid XP v8 a écrit :
> On 03/10/2011 08:17 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> Or in answer to the question: Which weighs more, an ounce of feathers or
>> an ounce of gold?
>>
>> (Answer: an ounce of gold, because it's a troy ounce, not a 'normal'
>> ounce)
>
> Never mind that. WTF is "a wee dram" of whiskey??

Also spelled «drachm»

1 greek drachm = 4.37 g
1 Roman drachm = 3.41 g
As a mass unit:
Now, it's 1/16 ounce, or 875/32 grains or 1.771 845 195 312 5 g

BUT, for an apothecair, it's double that, or 3 scrupules.

As a volume unit:
3.696691 ml (USA) or 3.551632 ml (Commonhealth and Ireland)

In a bar, it's 330 ml of whisky...

Post a reply to this message