POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : For metric gamers : Re: For metric gamers Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:28:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: For metric gamers
From: Invisible
Date: 4 Oct 2011 05:55:11
Message: <4e8ad7ff$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/10/2011 10:01 AM, Stephen wrote:

> "A wee dram" is a colloquial term used in Scotland often not wee at all.
> It is one of those phrases that travelled with the diaspora, like “the
> wee sma’ hours”. It just means a glass of whisky. Today it is thought of
> as a 1/4 of a gill (imperial) although I think of it as a 1/3. It used
> to be a half gill, hence the phrase a half and a half (hauf n a hauf)
> for a half pint of beer and a whisky.

One time I was offered a wee dram of whisky. Fortunately, it was very
small. Like, he got a glass and poured in almost enough liquid to cover
the bottom of the glass. (Apparently Glenmorangie is expensive or
something.) Which is just as well, because I couldn't even drink that
much. It tasted so disgusting...