POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : For metric gamers : Re: For metric gamers Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:29:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: For metric gamers
From: Stephen
Date: 4 Oct 2011 05:01:23
Message: <4e8acb63$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/10/2011 9:21 PM, Alain wrote:
> Le 2011/10/03 15:25, Orchid XP v8 a écrit :

>> Never mind that. WTF is "a wee dram" of whiskey??
>>

> Also spelled «drachm»

[Snip]

> In a bar, it's 330 ml of whisky...

"A wee dram" is a colloquial term used in Scotland often not wee at all.
It is one of those phrases that travelled with the diaspora, like “the
wee sma’ hours”. It just means a glass of whisky. Today it is thought of
as a 1/4 of a gill (imperial) although I think of it as a 1/3. It used
to be a half gill, hence the phrase a half and a half (hauf n a hauf)
for a half pint of beer and a whisky.

--
Regards
     Stephen