POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Any Linux recomendations? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:16:32 EDT (-0400)
  Any Linux recomendations? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Any Linux recomendations?
Date: 27 Sep 2011 15:10:00
Message: <web.4e821e8f920c2ded85de7b680@news.povray.org>
I've had Windows 7 less than 3 months, but I think that it's taken that time off
my life expectancy.  I can't figure out how to do things, it makes too many
decisions behind my back, it's always second-guessing me, and Micro$hit seems
adamantly opposed to the principle of least surprise.  And to tell the truth, I
miss all those unix finds and greps and seds.

But when I started looking into Linux, I found out about these things called
"distros."  My confusion may go up before my exasperation goes down.  Ubuntu
seems to be the big thing.  Any words, good or bad, about Ubuntu?  Any other
recommendations?

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 15:05:51 -0400, Cousin Ricky wrote:

> I've had Windows 7 less than 3 months, but I think that it's taken that
> time off my life expectancy.  I can't figure out how to do things, it
> makes too many decisions behind my back, it's always second-guessing me,
> and Micro$hit seems adamantly opposed to the principle of least
> surprise.  And to tell the truth, I miss all those unix finds and greps
> and seds.
>
> But when I started looking into Linux, I found out about these things
> called "distros."  My confusion may go up before my exasperation goes
> down.  Ubuntu seems to be the big thing.  Any words, good or bad, about
> Ubuntu?  Any other recommendations?

openSUSE.  We see a fair number of Ubuntu users converting to openSUSE
over in the openSUSE forums.

Jim

Post a reply to this message