POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Any Linux recomendations? : Re: Any Linux recomendations? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:23:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Any Linux recomendations?
From: Warp
Date: 27 Sep 2011 17:29:45
Message: <4e824049@news.povray.org>
Cousin Ricky <rickysttATyahooDOTcom> wrote:
> But when I started looking into Linux, I found out about these things called
> "distros."  My confusion may go up before my exasperation goes down.  Ubuntu
> seems to be the big thing.  Any words, good or bad, about Ubuntu?  Any other
> recommendations?

  OpenSuse.

  Although if you have an ATI display card, you might encounter problems
getting it to work properly. Installing the ATI proprietary driver (which
doesn't come with the distro because it's proprietary) usually solves the
problem nicely, but it sometimes has bugs with some cards. You'll have to
try older versions until you find one that works.

  I hear there are much less problems with NVidia cards.

  (OTOH AFAIK this isn't a problem exclusive to OpenSuse, and basically all
distros suffer from them.)

--
                                                          - Warp