POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is this the end of the world as we know it? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:25:34 EDT (-0400)
  Is this the end of the world as we know it? (Message 476 to 485 of 545)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Is this the end of the world as we know it?
Date: 23 Oct 2011 05:48:23
Message: <4ea3e2e7@news.povray.org>
> >> A reference manual is no substitute for an introduction.
> >
> >    Nobody every claimed that manpages are anything else than reference manuals.
> > Yet many unix users have learned to use most unix tools via their manpages.

> So it's not an introduction, and yet it's how most users introduce
> themselves?

> Now don't get me wrong. For something trivial like ln or cp, the
> reference manual is probably all you need. There's not much to learn,
> after all. But for something as complex as Bash, some examples and
> exposition would really help tremendously... I wasted literally *hours*
> trying to work out how the **** to execute the same command for every
> file in the current directory. In the end I was forced to do it by hand.

  I didn't say unix users have learned *all* tools via their manpages.
I just said it's the case with many (or even most) tools.

  (As for that particular problem, it's "for F in *; do echo $F; done",
or if you are using zsh, you can also write "for F (*) echo $F".)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>    I didn't say unix users have learned *all* tools via their manpages.
> I just said it's the case with many (or even most) tools.

YOU didn't, no. But Jim seemed to be strongly hinting at it.

>    (As for that particular problem, it's "for F in *; do echo $F; done",
> or if you are using zsh, you can also write "for F (*) echo $F".)

Just a few lines of example code could have helped me figure this out in
a few minutes instead of several hours. (And this must surely be a VFAQ
for shell scripting; it's just about the simplest task you could
possibly want to script!)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/