POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is this the end of the world as we know it? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:33:11 EDT (-0400)
  Is this the end of the world as we know it? (Message 41 to 50 of 545)
From: andrel
Subject: Re: Is this the end of the world as we know it?
Date: 1 Oct 2011 06:06:47
Message: <4E86E639.903@gmail.com>
On 1-10-2011 10:18, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> What worries me is the possibility of a theory not being taken seriously
>>> because nobody likes it, rather than because the theory doesn't work...
>>
>> Then the detractors would have to point out the flaws.
>
> That's what's /supposed/ to happen, yes.
>
> It becomes worrying when people point out "flaws" such as "this theory
> is /obviously/ wrong. Everybody can see that."
>
> I don't know if this actually happens in modern day science. I hope not...

I am afraid it does.

--
Apparently you can afford your own dictator for less than 10 cents per
citizen per day.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 1 Oct 2011 07:46:49
Message: <4e86fda9@news.povray.org>
andrel <byt### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> On 1-10-2011 10:18, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> > It becomes worrying when people point out "flaws" such as "this theory
> > is /obviously/ wrong. Everybody can see that."
> >
> > I don't know if this actually happens in modern day science. I hope not...

> I am afraid it does.

  Care to give an example?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 1 Oct 2011 11:47:50
Message: <4e873626@news.povray.org>
On 9/30/2011 23:21, Warp wrote:
>    Then the detractors would have to point out the flaws.

The problem is that for every idea whose flaws you ought to point out, there
are 10,000 ideas from people who have no idea what they're talking about.
It's like if you're debugging code, and some marketing guy comes up behind
you and says "you should put a colon there. Plus, you spelled creat() wrong.
And get rid of those empty parentheses." Would you actually want to spend
the time telling him why he's wrong? Or would you just say "go learn
something about what people already know about programming computers first"?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?

Post a reply to this message