From: Jim Henderson
Date: 3 Oct 2011 15:25:07
Message: <4e8a0c13$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 09:07:54 +0100, Invisible wrote:

>>> Definitely. Rote memorization teaches nothing, except how to memorize.
>>
>> Exactly, and primary school is supposed to (or should be) be about
>> learning how to learn rather than how to memorize.
>
> But testing whether you've memorised specific facts is way easier than
> testing whether you're actually stupid or not.

Well, that's true, but if we're talking about measuring IQ, that's one
thing.  Testing whether you can do stuff is actually not that difficult
to do or evaluate.  You have someone do the job (or tasks of the job) and
evaluate their performance.

It's time consuming, but it's not actually that difficult to do,
especially if you're focused on the end results rather than how they got
there (as long as it's within a certain period of time).

Jim