From: andrel
Date: 1 Oct 2011 14:09:30
Message: <4E87575B.7080802@gmail.com>
On 1-10-2011 13:46, Warp wrote:
> andrel<byt### [at] gmailcom>  wrote:
>> On 1-10-2011 10:18, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> It becomes worrying when people point out "flaws" such as "this theory
>>> is /obviously/ wrong. Everybody can see that."
>>>
>>> I don't know if this actually happens in modern day science. I hope not...
>
>> I am afraid it does.
>
>    Care to give an example?

In general this is hard as I am part of the reviewing process myself and
we don't talk about what happens to anyone other than the author. I
don't think it is a law, but it is not done.

I know numerous examples of it that have resulted in a paper not being
published in some journal. Though in practice almost all work will be
published somewhere someday. Perhaps in a low ranking journal a few
years later. But people can loose their job in the mean time. Especially
if it happens in a peer review for a grant in stead of for an article in
a journal.

One example that I was not involved in was in a reviewing process where
the (well known) reviewer returned nothing more than 'I don't belief
this'. This had no impact at all, because the editor rejected the review
report and asked someone else for a report.

BTW there is a lot wrong with the peer review process that I don't want
to go into detail about, as it might give the impression that any
research is unreliable. In general it works and people are more honest
than you might expect. Problems mainly arise when science is mixed with
management and politics.

--
Apparently you can afford your own dictator for less than 10 cents per
citizen per day.