POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is this the end of the world as we know it? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:15:00 EDT (-0400)
  Is this the end of the world as we know it? (Message 266 to 275 of 545)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Is this the end of the world as we know it?
Date: 9 Oct 2011 17:11:38
Message: <4e920e0a$1@news.povray.org>
On 09/10/2011 09:54 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 19:32:17 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>
>>> Of course, Microsoft stole the idea of a progress bar that makes no
>>> sense from Novell.  Just like BSOD (which they embraced, and then
>>> 'enhanced' by making it 'blue' instead of 'black'). ;)
>>
>> It least they don't call it a "guru meditation number" any more...
>
> Microsoft never did, that was an Amiga error code.

I know. And I always thought it was a really weird name...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Darren New
Date: 9 Oct 2011 17:34:51
Message: <4e92137b$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/9/2011 14:04, Jim Henderson wrote:
> How is it that it would cost more to host a repository for software for
> one platform than the other?

Insurance. Management. Stuff like that. Basically, overhead and risk abatement.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 9 Oct 2011 17:36:34
Message: <4e9213e2$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/9/2011 14:11, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> It least they don't call it a "guru meditation number" any more...
>>
>> Microsoft never did, that was an Amiga error code.
>
> I know. And I always thought it was a really weird name...

You didn't know the origin of that?

The Amiga had a game that used a pad you stood or sat on that turned your
weight shifts into a joystick input, not unlike some of the Wii surfing
controllers and such. The idea was that you sat cross-legged on that pad,
and when your app-under-development caused a guru meditation error, you
shouldn't be so startled that it makes you shift your weight.

At least that's what I've read.