From: Darren New
Date: 9 Oct 2011 21:10:20
Message: <4e9245fc$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/9/2011 16:14, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 14:34:50 -0700, Darren New wrote:
>
>> On 10/9/2011 14:04, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> How is it that it would cost more to host a repository for software for
>>> one platform than the other?
>>
>> Insurance. Management. Stuff like that. Basically, overhead and risk
>> abatement.
>
> So, the same kinds of things that you have to be careful of with Linux
> repositories as well.

No. People putting things into a Linux repository aren't going to sue them
for failing to distribute it properly. Nobody is going to sue Red Hat when
Reader crashes their machines. Etc.

> That's why, for example, the official openSUSE repos don't have any
> proprietary codecs or device drivers in them.  Because of liability,
> insurance, and management.

Well, there you go, then. Why are you asking why Microsoft doesn't do it,
then? There are tons of repositories of free Windows software that Microsoft
doesn't run.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?