From: Darren New
Date: 9 Oct 2011 17:42:08
Message: <4e921530$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/9/2011 14:03, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 13:08:01 -0700, Darren New wrote:
>
>> On 10/9/2011 10:15, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> Well, I think you probably would - some of the compiled code would
>>> already be in object form, and the compiler wouldn't have to compile it
>>> again.
>>
>> Nope. This was one giant compile of one source file. (Well, lots of
>> nested includes, etc.) I didn't have to log back in, restart the
>> compile, or anything like that. Plus, of course, on Linux, you'd have a
>> corrupted output file, because Make doesn't check that the compile
>> finished, only that the object code has a timestamp later than the
>> source code.
>
> I'll have to take your word for it.  I've worked on a lot of different
> systems and have never seen that kind of behaviour before.

Well, to be fair, it was core memory, so all the processor had to do was
save the registers when it got the "power fail" interrupt. :-) It's just one
of those "you never have to reboot linux unless you have a kernel update"
myth-busters.

Unless you mean the makefile stuff, which sure, it's trivial to break Make.

> In fact, I remember my friend at Microsoft (whom I mentioned before)
> telling me that those laptops they bought - the manufacturer wouldn't
> make drivers for them for Windows Vista.  Microsoft ended up returning
> the 15,000 laptops they had just purchased because the vendor wouldn't
> address that issue.  I understand they bought replacements from some
> other hardware manufacturer.

I can see that. Vista broke a lot of my hardware too.

> Except that one tends to patent and sue (or imply a patent and sue or
> extort) when the other doesn't.

Well, one is trying to make money. The fact that MS sues over patents is
irrelevant (for the most part) to the question of technical features. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?