POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is this the end of the world as we know it? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:15:32 EDT (-0400)
  Is this the end of the world as we know it? (Message 141 to 150 of 545)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Is this the end of the world as we know it?
Date: 7 Oct 2011 15:17:13
Message: <4e8f5039$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 20:10:33 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> I'll top post as I'm sure nobody wants to read all that again.
>
> What do you mean?

LOL

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 7 Oct 2011 18:00:36
Message: <4e8f7684$1@news.povray.org>
>>> Audio certainly is an area that's recognised as being problematic.
>>
>> Really? I thought that was Wi-Fi.
>
> Nah, Wi-Fi is pretty easy - either it works or it doesn't.  Either you
> have the firmware necessary or you don't.
>
> Audio is so horribly complex on Linux because there's at least 3
> different systems to use it, and nobody's standardised on one.  OSS.
> Alsa.  PulseAudio.

Ah yes, that's fun.

I especially like the way that installing one GNOME application installs
the entire GNOME system, including the GNOME sound daemon. And all I
actually wanted to do was run gedit...

Required XKCD quote: http://xkcd.com/927/

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 7 Oct 2011 18:03:20
Message: <4e8f7728$1@news.povray.org>
>> 1. How do you get it so a terminal is always available? (Most distros
>> I've seen make the terminal program one of the hardest things to find.
>
> Alt-F2 ->  gnome-terminal.
>
> Done.

I presume that only works if GNOME is your WM?

>> It's easy to find Firefox or Evolution or Jabba, but the terminal window
>> is usually somewhere under "advanced"... It's almost as if I'm using a
>> Microsoft OS!)
>
> It's usually under "system tools", which is appropriate.

With Ubuntu, it's "accessories". With OpenSUSE, it was somewhere else. I
forget where the heck it was with Debian.

KNOPPIX put it right on the desktop though. Smart guys...

>> 2. Why type "bc" when you can type "ghci"? ;-)
>
> Because 'bc' actually does something on my system - namely, it starts an
> arbitrary precision calculator. :)

Yeah, I wasn't entirely serious with that one. ;-)

Typing "ghci" starts the Glasgow Haskell Compiler in Interactive mode -
i.e., an REPL for Haskell. Which has arbitrary math support backed by
the GMP [which is probably what powers bc, I wouldn't be surprised...]
But it's also a full Turing-complete programming language, not just a
calculator.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/