From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 7 Oct 2011 18:03:20
Message: <4e8f7728$1@news.povray.org>
>> 1. How do you get it so a terminal is always available? (Most distros
>> I've seen make the terminal program one of the hardest things to find.
>
> Alt-F2 ->  gnome-terminal.
>
> Done.

I presume that only works if GNOME is your WM?

>> It's easy to find Firefox or Evolution or Jabba, but the terminal window
>> is usually somewhere under "advanced"... It's almost as if I'm using a
>> Microsoft OS!)
>
> It's usually under "system tools", which is appropriate.

With Ubuntu, it's "accessories". With OpenSUSE, it was somewhere else. I
forget where the heck it was with Debian.

KNOPPIX put it right on the desktop though. Smart guys...

>> 2. Why type "bc" when you can type "ghci"? ;-)
>
> Because 'bc' actually does something on my system - namely, it starts an
> arbitrary precision calculator. :)

Yeah, I wasn't entirely serious with that one. ;-)

Typing "ghci" starts the Glasgow Haskell Compiler in Interactive mode -
i.e., an REPL for Haskell. Which has arbitrary math support backed by
the GMP [which is probably what powers bc, I wouldn't be surprised...]
But it's also a full Turing-complete programming language, not just a
calculator.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/