POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random wonderings 6052701905145 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:20:38 EDT (-0400)
  Random wonderings 6052701905145 (Message 11 to 20 of 71)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Random wonderings 6052701905145
Date: 15 Sep 2011 07:00:14
Message: <4e71dabe$1@news.povray.org>
On 15/09/2011 10:45 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Le 15/09/2011 11:32, Stephen a écrit :
>> On 15/09/2011 9:24 AM, Invisible wrote:
>>> I'm just wondering whether fungi deliberately manufacture substances for
>>> no other reason than to prevent them being eaten,
>>
>> Do you believe in a god?
>>
> Yes. Mamma always told me to believe in me.

LOL
"To believe in myself" would have read better. :-)

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Gilles Tran
Date: 15 Sep 2011 07:22:52
Message: <4e71e00c@news.povray.org>

4e70ab19$1@news.povray.org...

>Sometimes I find myself wondering the strangest things. For example... How
>much is a live dairy cow actually worth? As far as I'm aware, there's no
>easy way of actually answering such obscure questions.

From Google, about 1000-1300 euros depending on age, breed, location etc.

G.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 15 Sep 2011 07:29:02
Message: <4e71e17e$1@news.povray.org>
On 15/09/2011 12:22 PM, Gilles Tran wrote:

> 4e70ab19$1@news.povray.org...
>
>> Sometimes I find myself wondering the strangest things. For example...
>> How much is a live dairy cow actually worth? As far as I'm aware,
>> there's no easy way of actually answering such obscure questions.
>
>  From Google, about 1000-1300 euros depending on age, breed, location etc.

That's interesting.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 15 Sep 2011 07:33:16
Message: <4e71e27c$1@news.povray.org>
On 15/09/2011 11:12 AM, Invisible wrote:
> On 15/09/2011 10:32 AM, Stephen wrote:
>> On 15/09/2011 9:24 AM, Invisible wrote:
>>> I'm just wondering whether fungi deliberately manufacture substances for
>>> no other reason than to prevent them being eaten,
>>
>> Do you believe in a god?
>
> *sigh*
>
> OK, well if you want to split hairs...

I generally only do that with an axe. ;-)

> I'm just wondering whether the fact that many fungi are poisonous to
> large mammals is positively selected for, or a neutral trait.

mind that lots of fungi are not only edible but delicious.

> (Which is /obviously/ what I asked in the first place, to anybody who
> actually understands how evolution works.)

It is not! In fact it shows that *you* do not understands Evolution

> The tea tree manufactures caffeine for no reason other than to control
> pests. It is of no "use" to the plant itself, it's just poisonous to
> certain insects that try to eat the plant. If there were no insects, the
> tree wouldn't need to make caffeine at all. This is "deliberate toxicity".

You think that plants can make decisions?

> None of this is intended to imply /actual concious intent/. It's just a
> figure of speech. Sheesh...

Then you should make your self properly understood and not use terms
that proponents of Intelligent Design use.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> I'm just wondering whether the fact that many fungi are poisonous to
>> large mammals is positively selected for, or a neutral trait.

"Is the situation X or is it Y?"
"No, definitely not."

> Baring in
> mind that lots of fungi are not only edible but delicious.

You have strange tastes. :-P

Then again, there are snakes that deliberately produce toxic venom, and
others that don't. That doesn't mean that venom is in any way "accidental".

>> None of this is intended to imply /actual concious intent/. It's just a
>> figure of speech. Sheesh...
>
> Then you should make your self properly understood and not use terms
> that proponents of Intelligent Design use.

Scientists use terms like these all the time, under the clear
understanding that it's merely a shorthand for something more
complicated. The scientists know that. The ID people latched onto it as
an easy way to mislead people who don't understand evolution.

Post a reply to this message