POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random wonderings 6052701905145 : Re: Random wonderings 6052701905145 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:25:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random wonderings 6052701905145
From: Stephen
Date: 15 Sep 2011 07:33:16
Message: <4e71e27c$1@news.povray.org>
On 15/09/2011 11:12 AM, Invisible wrote:
> On 15/09/2011 10:32 AM, Stephen wrote:
>> On 15/09/2011 9:24 AM, Invisible wrote:
>>> I'm just wondering whether fungi deliberately manufacture substances for
>>> no other reason than to prevent them being eaten,
>>
>> Do you believe in a god?
>
> *sigh*
>
> OK, well if you want to split hairs...

I generally only do that with an axe. ;-)

> I'm just wondering whether the fact that many fungi are poisonous to
> large mammals is positively selected for, or a neutral trait.

mind that lots of fungi are not only edible but delicious.

> (Which is /obviously/ what I asked in the first place, to anybody who
> actually understands how evolution works.)

It is not! In fact it shows that *you* do not understands Evolution

> The tea tree manufactures caffeine for no reason other than to control
> pests. It is of no "use" to the plant itself, it's just poisonous to
> certain insects that try to eat the plant. If there were no insects, the
> tree wouldn't need to make caffeine at all. This is "deliberate toxicity".

You think that plants can make decisions?

> None of this is intended to imply /actual concious intent/. It's just a
> figure of speech. Sheesh...

Then you should make your self properly understood and not use terms
that proponents of Intelligent Design use.

--
Regards
     Stephen