POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data transfer Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:13:41 EDT (-0400)
  Data transfer (Message 146 to 155 of 195)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Data transfer
Date: 15 Sep 2011 22:31:52
Message: <4e72b518$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 19:17:36 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> As far as I know, getting X to actually work remotely is extremely
>>> difficult, whereas I know from experience that getting VNC to work
>>> remotely is trivial.
>>
>> VNC is also trivially compromised unless you tunnel it over ssh or wrap
>> it in ssl.
>
> If the two machines are on the same LAN, this probably isn't a problem.
> (And presumably the same applies to X as well anyway...)

Yes, that's true, if you trust the LAN.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 15 Sep 2011 22:35:05
Message: <4e72b5d9$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 19:46:42 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>> Man pages are not intended to be tutorials.  They're manual pages.
>
> ...which is the point I'm trying to make, yes.

So then what's the problem?  You're complaining that they're not
tutorials, but they're not intended to be tutorials.

>>> Then again, sometimes the manpage just says "use info". And then you
>>> had /another/ problem...
>>
>> Well, no, it's not *another* problem - you just need to use the info
>> command instead.
>
> Have /you/ tried navigating the thing?
>
> Since I'm guessing the answer is probably "yes", then I don't need to
> explain to you how hard it is...

Yes, and I usually end up googling instead.  I'm sure I could figure it
out, but I don't need it that often.

>>> So even with this line, people can *still* authenticate by password.
>>
>> Not to the best of my knowledge.
>
> I'm fairly sure I tested it, and discovered that I needed to turn off
> multiple things to stop it accepting my password as a valid login. But
> since that was then and this is now, I guess I might be incorrect.

It might be easier now, yes.  Honestly, I've never even looked for a CHAP-
based authentication mechanism for ssh.

>>> All three of the SFTP systems we use commercially have them.
>>
>> A sample size of 3 isn't exactly data supporting "commonly used".
>
> It's infinity times larger than a sample size of zero. ;-)

Sure, but not mathematically significant.

> Then again, one of these systems is set up to use PK authentication, and
> the server administrators emailled /us/ with the private key to use to
> get access. *facepalm*
>
> Imagine it: Going to all the trouble of setting up a secure system, and
> not even knowing how to secure it properly...

I don't have to - I see it fairly regularly.

Jim

Post a reply to this message