POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data transfer : Re: Data transfer Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:10:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data transfer
From: Invisible
Date: 16 Sep 2011 04:24:51
Message: <4e7307d3@news.povray.org>
On 16/09/2011 03:46 AM, Darren New wrote:

> Again, it depends on what you're doing and where the Linux is living.
> I'll grant that *desktop* linux systems rarely *need* rebooting. And I'd
> argue that if you have a server whose *only* job is being a web server,
> then restarting the web server after an upgrade is essentially the same
> as a reboot, except faster.

Actually Windows is getting better at not needing to be rebooted either.

You can quite often install or uninstall software, and it doesn't bother
asking for a reboot. It just /works/. (Indeed, lots of older software
asks for a reboot, but actually works fine without one.)

And - fortunately - it's becoming less common to need to reboot due to
resource leaks too.