POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Memories Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:16:29 EDT (-0400)
  Memories (Message 11 to 20 of 94)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Memories
Date: 19 Aug 2011 11:44:30
Message: <4e4e84de$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 16:32:22 +0100, Invisible wrote:

>>> ...but it was somewhat baffling to walk into a classroom and discover
>>> that I know more about the subject than the lecturer does.
>
>> Oh c'mon now!  Anyone who can think his way out of a wet paper bag has
>> had this experience repeatedly. We're just socially trained not to say
>> so.
>
> What, that the person being paid to teach you something knows less about
> it than you already do?

Yes, it's not that uncommon.  In my case, it was an assembly language
class I took in college - it started from how to use MASM, but I'd
already used TASM quite extensively - but the course was a required
course in my degree program.

I've also run into that in a number of technical courses I've taken over
the years - I took a course on Advanced NDS Troubleshooting from Novell
years ago, but I'd already co-written a book on the topic (in fact, we
gave a couple copies away in class).  I learned a few things, but mostly
they were things not in the course.  The instructor was good, but a few
years ago I was teaching a similar class, and the instructor from that
first class was a student of mine - and he learned some things he didn't
know.

Jim

Post a reply to this message