POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Memories : Re: Memories Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:25:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memories
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 20 Aug 2011 05:34:27
Message: <4e4f7fa3$1@news.povray.org>
On 19/08/2011 05:03 PM, Warp wrote:

>    When I went to the university, I don't remember any obviously incompetent
> professors. Some teaching assistants were, but that's completely different
> (because they were often just students like everybody else, usually just
> a few years senior).
>
>    Most (if not all) of the professors related to computing science that
> ever taught me were much more competent and knowledgeable about programming
> than I am today. Perhaps the only field where there was slightly less
> abundant expertise overall was computer graphics.

Apparently I went to a bad university.

Ironically, our Computer Graphics lecturer actually *was* an expert. I'm
not sure getting a lecture hall full of people to do matrix
multiplication on paper is especially productive, but the guy definitely
knew his stuff.

I can still remember everybody laughing when he said that our assignment
was to write a program to draw a straight line. But *you* try doing that
with only integer arithmetic. It's surprisingly nontrivial.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/